JOB TITLE: Teaching Assistant
SUPERVISED BY: Special Education Teacher
The Transportation Teaching Assistant is responsible for providing support with educational lessons and activities to teachers in a classroom setting. This position will assist with the preparation of classroom materials and/or displays for lessons planned and executed by the teacher. The Teacher Assistant will help with clerical tasks, enforce classroom rules and provide general care and supervision to students. This position may include leading and monitoring small or large group activities.
The Transportation Teaching Assistant is responsible for transporting CCGC students to and from school.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Assist in the implementation of class lessons, activities, and special events as instructed by the teacher or administrators.
- Helps maintain the flow of the classroom lessons and activities by organizing and preparing supplies and materials for student use.
- Develops and maintains an awareness of student needs, class rules, class procedures, and instructional materials to anticipate and respond in the classroom environment.
- Supervises the class or group independently as required and carries out class activities as directed by the teacher in his/her absence.
- Provides personal assistance to students as required by their age and developmental level.
- Supervises students during activities outside of the classroom, including field trips, playground, and cafeteria.
- Participates actively in weekly staff meetings and attends group specific to professional development.
- Obtains and maintains CPI certification.
- Flexibility and ability to adapt to changing schedules and teacher expectations.
- Ability to understand complex instructions and/or assignments given in the oral and written form.
- Ability to work cooperatively with all disciplines directly related to the day to day function of the school.
- Responsible for the general housekeeping of the classroom.
- Conduct pre-trip vehicle inspections to ensure safe operation.
- Drive transportation route – picking up and dropping off student passengers at established stops.
- Supervise students in route to and from school.
- Provide support and guidance to any student requiring behavioral management.
- Conduct post-trip vehicle inspections.
- Clean van as necessary to maintain a professional appearance and positive agency image.
- As required provide transportation for field trips.
Must be over the age of 18 with a valid CT driver's license (more than three years). Must be able to pass DOT physical examination and obtain and maintain a V Endorsement CT driver’s license. Must pass DOT initial drug screening, pre-employment, and random DOT drug screens.
Bachelor’s in Human Services or related field preferred. Excellent communication skills a must. High School diploma required.
Please note: It is preferred that applicants have a valid CT driver's license, but we will still consider those who do not. You do not need to possess all of the qualifications or have experience in all of the duties listed. We encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds and with varying levels of experience to apply if you are passionate about education and DEI and committed to making a positive impact on the lives of students.